Sydney Marow Eardley Wilmot
Life & Career
He was promoted to the rank of Captain on 30 June, 1886, and on 7 August gave up command of Dolphin.
Wilmot served as Assistant Director of Naval Intelligence from 1 February, 1887 to 1 April, 1890. On 24 April, 1891, he was appointed to revise the Gunnery Manual and other handbooks under the direction of Director of Naval Ordnance and Torpedoes.
On 16 August, 1893, he was placed on the Retired List in accordance with the provisions of the Order in Council of 22 February, 1870, on account of non-service. He was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral on the Retired List dated 13 March, 1901.
He was appointed Superintendent of Ordnance Stores at the Admiralty on 25 February, 1902. His appointment was extended for three years from 1 February, 1905, and for another 12 months from 1 February, 1908. He was superseded on 1 February, 1909.
- "Rear-Admiral Sir S. Eardley-Wilmot" (Obituaries). The Times. Friday, 1 March, 1929. Issue 45140, col B, p. 11.
- Eardley-Wilmot, Lieutenant S. ed. (1873). Our Journal in the Pacific by the Officers of H.M.S. Zealous. London: Longmans, Green, and Co..
- Eardley-Wilmot, Rear-Admiral Sir Sydney (1927). An Admiral's Memories: Sixty-Five Years Afloat and Ashore. London: Sampson Low, Marston & Co., Ltd.
|Captain of H.M.S. Dolphin
1 May, 1884
|Assistant Director of Naval Intelligence, Foreign Division
1 Feb, 1887
The Hon. Maurice A. Bourke
Leonard T. Pease
|Superintendent of Ordnance Stores
25 Feb, 1902
Barrington H. Chevallier
- The London Gazette: no. 23504. p. 3184. 4 June, 1869.
- The Navy List. (July, 1878). p. 249.
- The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 27297. p. 2021. 22 March, 1901.
- The Navy List. (July, 1886). p. 207.
- Eardley Wilmot Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/39. f. 1409.
- "The Superintendent of Naval Ordnance Stores" (News). The Times. Saturday, 22 February, 1902. Issue 36698, col B, p. 13.