Dryad Class Torpedo Gunboat (1893)
The five torpedo gunboats of the Dryad Class (also referred to as the Halcyon Class in some sources) were a further revision of the Alarm class, and were built at the same time as the Royal Navy's first destroyers, which quickly took over the torpedo gunboat's intended anti-torpedo boat role.
|Overview of five vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Dryad||Chatham Dockyard||15 April, 1893||22 November, 1893||21 July, 1894||Sold 24 September, 1920|
|Halcyon||Devonport Dockyard||2 January, 1893||6 April, 1894||16 May, 1895||Sold 6 November, 1919|
|Harrier||Devonport Dockyard||21 January, 1893||20 February, 1894||8 July, 1896||Sold 23 February, 1920|
|Hazard||Pembroke Dockyard||1 December, 1892||17 February, 1894||24 July, 1895||Sunk 28 January, 1918|
|Hussar||Devonport Dockyard||3 April, 1894||3 July, 1894||3 December, 1896||Sold 13 July, 1921|
The Dryads were enlarged Alarms with a poop added for additional officers' accomodations and the engineering spaces rearranged so that the engines were placed between the boiler rooms instead of abaft of them, a similar arrangement to that used in the contemporary Barham class cruisers. This left the two funnels widely spaced, leading the Dryads to be described as "rather odd-looking ships".
As built, all except Hussar carried:
- Two 4.7 inch (45-pounder) quick-firing guns
- Four 6-pounder guns
- One Nordenfelt five-barrelled machine-gun
- Five 18-inch torpedo tubes and seven torpedoes.
Hussar's gun armament differed from the others:
- One 4.7 inch
- Two 12-pounder guns
- One 6-pounder gun
- Friedman. British Destroyers. pp. 33-34.
- Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. p. 90.
- Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. pp. 89-90.
- Lyon; Winfield. The Steam & Sail List. pp. 306-307.
- Brown, David K, RCNC (2003). Warrior to Dreadnought: Warship Development 1860 — 1905. London: Chatham Publishing. (on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk).
- Chesneau, Robert; Kolesnik, Eugene (editors) (1979). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. London: Conway Maritime Press. (on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk).
- Friedman, Norman (2009). British Destroyers: From Earliest Days to the Second World War. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 9781591140818 (on Amazon.com).
- Lyon, David; Winfield, Rif (2004). The Sail & Steam Navy List: All the Ships of the Royal Navy, 1815-1889. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1861760329. (on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk).
- March, Edgar J. (1966). British Destroyers: A History of Development, 1892-1953. London: Seeley Service & Co. Limited. (on Bookfinder.com).
|Dryad Class Torpedo Gunboat|
|<–||Alarm Class||Small Fry (UK)||Heron Class||–>|
|<–||Alarm Class||Torpedo Gunboats (UK)|