Wampanoag Class Frigate (1864)
Two Wampanoag class screw frigates were completed for the U.S. Navy in 1866 and 1867.
|Overview of two vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Wampanoag||New York NYd||3 Aug, 1863||15 Dec, 1864||17 Sep, 1867||Sold 27 Feb, 1885|
|Madawaska||New York NYd||Late 1863||8 July, 1865||27 Jun, 1866||Sold 15 Sep, 1886|
Design & Construction
The Wampanoags were two of the six fast steam frigates ordered by the U.S. Navy for commerce raiding duties should Britain intervene in the Civil War on the Confederate side. Of these six, only the Wampanoags and their near-sister Ammonoosuc were completed.
See individual articles.
- Bauer and Roberts. Register of Ships. pp. 57-58.
- Silverstone. Civil War. pp. 18-19.
- Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. p. 124.
- Bauer and Roberts. Register of Ships. p. 58.
- Bauer, K. Jack and Roberts, Stephen S. (1991). Register of Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1775-1990: Major Combatants. New York: Greenwood Press.
- Chesneau, Robert; Kolesnik, Eugene (editors) (1979). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. London: Conway Maritime Press. (on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk).
- Silverstone, Paul H. (2006). The U.S. Navy Warship Series: Civil War Navies, 1855-1883. New York: Routledge.
- Silverstone, Paul H. (2006). The U.S. Navy Warship Series: The New Navy 1883-1922. New York: Routledge.
|Wampanoag Class Screw Frigate|