Triumph Class Battleship (1903)
The two Triumph class battleships (called the Swiftsure class in many sources) were pre-dreadnoughts originally ordered for Chile, but purchased instead by Great Britain while under construction.
|Overview of 2 vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Swiftsure||Armstrong||26 Feb, 1902||12 Jan, 1903||Jun, 1904||Sold 18 Jun, 1920|
|Triumph||Vickers||26 Feb, 1902||15 Jan, 1903||Jun, 1904||Torpedoed 25 May, 1915|
In September 1914, the ships were allowed four additional pairs of Pattern 343 Service Binoculars.
Fire Control Systems
Details on this class are fairly sparse, as they were originally produced for Chile and their 10-in main battery made them such oddities in the Royal Navy that they were seemingly omitted from Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914.
Their particulars very loosely resembled those of the Duncan class.[Inference]
In early 1913, new pattern G. 329 trainer's telescopes of 2.5 power and 20 degree field were issued to these and many other capital ships, to replace the 5/12, 5/15 and 5/21 variable power G.S. telescopes that had previously been in use.
- two submerged 18-in tubes forward, undepressed and angled directly abeam; axis of tube 10 feet 6 inches below load water line and 3 feet above the deck.
These ships never received directors for main or secondary batteries.
These ships never received Dreyer tables.
- ↑ Admiralty Weekly Order No. 331 of 8 Sep, 1914.
- ↑ Admiralty Weekly Orders. 28 Feb, 1913. The National Archives. ADM 182/4.
- ↑ Torpedo Manual, Vol. III, 1909. p. 265.
- ↑ The Director Firing Handbook. pp. 142-3.
- ↑ Handbook of Captain F. C. Dreyer's Fire Control Tables, 1918. p. 3.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1914). Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914. G. 01627/14. C.B. 1030. Copy 1235 at The National Archives. ADM 186/191.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1917). The Director Firing Handbook. O.U. 6125 (late C.B. 1259). Copy No. 322 at The National Archives. ADM 186/227.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1918). Handbook of Captain F. C. Dreyer's Fire Control Tables, 1918. C.B. 1456. Copy No. 10 at Admiralty Library, Portsmouth, United Kingdom.
|Triumph Class Pre-dreadnought|
|<–||King Edward VII Class||Battleships (UK)||Lord Nelson Class||–>|