Result of Plot Instrument
The Result of Plot Instrument was a device described in mid-1918 as being fitted in all capital ships. It was intended to give gunnery control officers an idea of what was going on in the T.S.. Presumably, this meant they were to be installed in the primary main battery control positions, minimally.
It was to display:
- The reliability, or otherwise, of the rangefinder plot
- The "error in range"
- Comparison between Gun Range and rangefinder range
- plotted Range Rate
- plotted Dumaresq Deflection
It seems similar to the device later described as "the Repeater".
It was claimed that the device's genesis was prompted by "experience gained at Jutland that insufficient use was made by spotting officers of their range-finder information, of which more was available than had been anticipated" - a statement that seems to contradict most gunnery reports from the battle, and that "spotting had proved more difficult than had been expected."
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1917. p. 231.
- The editor does not know what this means.