Paul Leathley Eddis

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Lieutenant-Commander Paul Leathley Eddis, (18 March, 1891 – 10 January, 1924) served in the Royal Navy. His older brother Christopher John Francis Eddis also served in the Navy, dying of influenza in October 1918.

Life & Career

The son of Reverend John E. Eddis, a clerk in Holy Orders.

In 1912, he underwent knee surgery at his own expense.

Eddis was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 15 December, 1913.

Eddis was in E 13 when she ran aground on the Danish island of Saltholm on 19 August, 1915. The submarine was shelled by a German destroyer, losing half her men. Eddis was interned by the Danes along with the other survivors. He returned later in the war, seemingly by escaping in September 1917 against his word of honour in the mistaken belief that his parents had died suddenly. Eddis was appointed in command of E 38 under Royal Australian Navy command.[1]

Eddis was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander on 15 December, 1921. On 22 September 1923, he was noted for his contributions to the fighting efficiency of the Second Submarine Flotilla.

Eddis died in command of L 24 when the submarine was lost in a collision with the battleship H.M.S. Resolution eleven miles off Portland Bill.

See Also


Naval Appointments
Preceded by
John de B. Jessop
Captain of H.M.S. E 38
27 Oct, 1917 – 4 Jan, 1919
Succeeded by
Charles G. N. Graham
Preceded by
Theodore F. A. Voysey
Captain of H.M.S. E 32
4 Jan, 1919 – 23 May, 1919
Succeeded by
Alan D. L. Macpherson
Preceded by
John M. Mansfield
Captain of H.M.S. H 42
Mar, 1921 – 11 Dec, 1921
Succeeded by
Douglas C. Sealy
Preceded by
Gerald A. Garnons-Williams
Captain of H.M.S. L 71
11 Dec, 1922[2] – 30 Aug, 1923
Succeeded by
Geoffrey M. K. Keble-White
Preceded by
Anthony B. Lockhart
Captain of H.M.S. L 24
30 Aug, 1923 – 10 Jan, 1924
Succeeded by
Vessel Lost


  1. "Officers Of L.24." The Times (London, England), 11 Jan. 1924, p. 10.
  2. The Navy List. (January, 1923). p. 777.