Naval Adviser to the Inspector-General of Fortifications
From June, 1894, the Naval Adviser also served as Joint Secretary to the Joint Naval and Military Committee on Defence under the presidency of the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for War. Representing the Navy were the First Naval Lord, the Admiral Superintendent of Naval Reserves, the Director of Naval Ordnance and Torpedoes, and the Director of Naval Intelligence. From the Army were the Adjutant-General to the Forces, the Inspectors-General of Fortifications and Engineers, the Director of Artillery, and the Director of Military Intelligence. In an answer to a 1901 query in the House of Commons, the Parliamentary and Financial Secretary to the Board of Admiralty, Hugh O. Arnold-Forster, explained the background of the Committee:
The Committee was formed for the consideration of questions of coast defence, in which the Admiralty and the War Office were jointly interested. Subjects for consideration are referred to the Committee either by the War Office or by the Admiralty, or by both in agreement. Subjects may also be referred to it by the Colonial Defence Committee. Subjects for consideration can also be brought before the Committee by individual members of the same. The Reports of the Committee are submitted to the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty and to the Secretary of State for War. The functions of the Committee do not resemble those exercised by the Cabinet Committee of Defence. The members are ex-officio. They do not receive any extra rank or pay on joining the Committee. A record is kept of the proceedings. The Committee met once during the year 1900.
- Captain Edmund S. Poë, 11 March, 1889
- Captain Wilmot H. Fawkes, 12 January, 1891
- Captain H.S.H. Prince Louis of Battenberg, 23 November, 1892
- Captain George A. Callaghan, 22 October, 1894
- Captain The Hon. Stanley C. J. Colville, 19 July, 1897
- Captain The Hon. Walter G. Stopford, 9 September, 1898
- Captain Richard B. Farquhar, 11 October, 1900 – 2 October, 1902
- Captain W. Lowther Grant, 7 October, 1902
- "Naval & Military Intelligence" (Official Appointments and Notices). The Times. Friday, 15 June, 1894. Issue 34291, col B, p. 11.
- Hansard. HC Deb 15 February 1901 vol 89 c172.
- Poë Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/39/241.
- Fawkes Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/36/1001.
- Milford Haven Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/38/100.
- Callaghan Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/38/187.
- Colville Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/42/25.
- Stopford Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/39/491.
- Farquhar Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/38/373.
- Grant Service Record. The National Archives. ADM 196/20/514.