Historical Section (Royal Navy)
The Historical Section was a small constituent of successive divisions of the Naval Staff charged with the compilation of historical monographs. Established in 1920, it is an ancestor of the present Naval Historical Branch.
In 1921 it was part of the Training and Staff Duties Division, part of whose remit was "Preparation … of historical monographs dealing with operations or required by the Staff College".
- Commander Charles H. N. James, 22 November, 1920 – 1926
- Lieutenant-Commander John H. Lloyd-Owen, 2 October, 1924
- Distribution of the Duties of the Naval Staff. p. 13.
- "Naval Appointments." The Times (London, England), Saturday, 2 October, 1920. Issue 42531, col D, pg. 4.
- Dewar service record. The National Archives. ADM 196/44/240.
- Bellairs service record. The National Archives. ADM 196/49/116.
- James service record. The National Archives. ADM 196/49/96.
- The Navy List for December 1940 Corrected to 18th November, 1940. p. 788.
- Admiralty (1921). Distribution of the Duties of the Naval Staff. London: By His Majesty's Stationary Office. Cmd. 1343.