Francis Starkie Clayton
From The Dreadnought Project
Life & Career
Clayton committed to his diary in July, 1887 while in command of the corvette H.M.S. Diamond:
I am still uncertain about my movements as the Admiral has not yet got the requisite permission [by] telegram. Really, it is too bad that an Admiral can't move about his own station without permission from home—centralisation with a vengeance. It is a great pity, all owing to that tiresome telegraph—he may not go out of reach of the plague [sic] without leave.
- "Admiral Clayton" (Obituaries). The Times. Thursday, 23 October, 1913. Issue 40350, col D, p. 11.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/70.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/36.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/14.
Alfred T. Dale
|Captain of H.M.S. Diamond
5 Nov, 1884 – 6 Mar, 1889
|Captain of H.M.S. Triumph
1 Aug, 1889 – May, 1892
Sir Edward Chichester, Bart.
- The London Gazette: no. 23605. p. 2099. 8 April, 1870.
- The London Gazette: no. 24686. p. 1793. 28 February, 1879.
- Quoted in The Naval Miscellany. VI. p. 360.
- "Naval Intelligence." The Times (London, England), Saturday, Jul 19, 1890; pg. 12; Issue 33068.
- The London Gazette: no. 27262. p. 4. 1 January, 1901.
- The London Gazette: no. 27692. p. 4259. 5 July, 1904.
- The Navy List. (February, 1888). p. 205.
- William Loney RN
- The Navy List. (July, 1890). p. 252d.