Charles Searle Cardale
His son, Ernest Leslie Cardale, would also become a naval officer. He may have had other sons, as well.
Life & Career
Cardale was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant with seniority of 31 August, 1861.
Cardale was promoted to the rank of Commander for services in Abysinnia with seniority of 14 August, 1868.
Appointed to command the troopship Crocodile on 13 June, 1881. On 12 July, 1882 Cardale left Crocodile for her sister Euphrates. On 27 February 1884, a Court Martial partly proved a charge that Cardale had stranded troopship Euphrates by negligence or default and he was dismissed the ship – a sentence the Board Minutes deemed light.
Cardale was appointed in command of the battleship Agamemnon on 5 August, 1887. In October 1888, the Admiralty disapproved of the tone of a letter Cardale had sent the previous month explaining why Lieutenant Edward Duke Hunt had not been transferred to H.M.S. Dolphin.
On 15 June 1889, the Admiralty expressed its "surprise and displeasure" with Cardale's allowing, as President of a Court Martial regarding the negligent stranding of H.M.S. Turquoise in April, Captain Brackenbury to put questions regarding the character and trustworthiness of the Navigating Officer.
On 14 August 1891, his central battery ironclad Iron Duke received a poor evaluation in which Rear-Admiral FitzRoy noted a "want of cleanliness & neatness below. Officers appear to be ignorant of internal arrangements and fittings of their ship."
- "Obituary" (Obituaries). The Times. Thursday, 2 June, 1904. Issue 37410, col D, p. 10.
Charles J. Brownrigg
|Captain of H.M.S. Euphrates
13 Jun, 1881
Arthur C. H. Paget
Gerald C. Langley
|Captain of H.M.S. Agamemnon
5 Aug, 1887 – 6 Aug, 1890
Charles L. Oxley
Frederick S. Vander-Meulen
|Captain of H.M.S. Iron Duke
3 Feb, 1891 – 5 Apr, 1892
Ernest N. Rolfe
- The London Gazette: no. 24541. p. 169. 11 January, 1878.
- The Navy List. (February, 1888). p. 192.
- The London Gazette: no. 26279. p. 2252. 15 April, 1892.
- The London Gazette: no. 27043. p. 298. 17 January, 1899.
- The London Gazette: no. 27171. p. 1523. 6 March, 1900.
- The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 27659. p. 1791. 18 March, 1904.
- The Navy List. (March, 1883). p. 255.
- The Navy List. (July, 1890). p. 192.
- The Navy List. (April, 1891). p. 231.