Charles George Fane
Life & Career
He was appointed in command of the iron battleship Hector on 11 July, 1885.
Fane refined Prince Louis of Battenberg's masthead semaphore machine, making it more reliable in operation by employing ropes rather than levers to expand or collapse a cone at the masthead. It was visible for several miles and was comparatively tested against another system invented by Rear-Admiral Wilson at the Annual Manoeuvres of 1895.
On the occasion of the King Edward VII's birthday Fane was appointed an Ordinary Member of the Second Class, or Knight Commander, in the Military Division of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (K.C.B.) on 9 November, 1901.
Fane was promoted to the rank of Admiral on 24 January, 1902, vice Tracey. In accordance with the provisions of the Order in Council of 22 February, 1870, he was placed on the Retired List at his own request the following day.
- "Obituary" (Obituaries). The Times. Thursday, 25 February, 1909. Issue 38892, col E, p. 13.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/70.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/36.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/14.
Claude E. Buckle
|Captain of H.M.S. Invincible
11 Jun, 1885 – 1 Jun, 1888
Arthur T. Brooke
Noel S. F. Digby
|Captain of H.M.S. Northampton
22 Apr, 1886 – 23 Nov, 1886
Henry L. Fleet
Robert H. M. Molyneux
|Captain Superintendent, Sheerness Dockyard
1 Jun, 1888
John A. Fisher
|Admiral Superintendent, Portsmouth Dockyard
1 Feb, 1892
- The London Gazette: no. 23433. p. 5510. 20 October, 1868.
- The London Gazette: no. 25774. p. 243. 6 January, 1888.
- Clowes. VII. p. 7.
- The London Gazette: no. 26077. p. 4328. 8 August, 1890.
- Hampshire Telegraph and Naval Chronicle (Portsmouth, England), 27 July, 1895, p. 8.
- The London Gazette: no. 26796. p. 6363. 20 November, 1896.
- The London Gazette: no. 27376. p. 7291. 12 November, 1901.
- The London Gazette: no. 27401. p. 583. 28 January, 1902.
- The London Gazette: no. 27405. p. 844. 11 February, 1902.
- The Navy List. (February, 1888). p. 214.
- The Navy List. (July, 1886). p. 226.
- Clowes. The Royal Navy. Vol. VII. p. 7.
- Clowes. The Royal Navy. Vol. VII. p. 6.