Centurion Class Battleship (1892)
|Overview of 2 vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Barfleur||Chatham Royal Dockyard||12 Oct, 1890||10 Aug, 1892||18 Jul, 1894||Sold 12 Jul, 1910|
|Centurion||Portsmouth Royal Dockyard||30 Mar, 1890||3 Aug, 1892||14 Feb, 1894||Sold 12 Jul, 1910|
- four above-water fixed broadside tubes at corners of armoured citadel, two at 50 degrees abaft the beam, and two at 42 degrees ahead, all horizontal.
- one above water fixed tube astern, horizontal.
- two submerged broadside forward, depressed 1 degree and angled directly abeam; axis of tube was 9 foot 5 inches below load water line and 2 foot 4 inches above the deck.
By 1909, the above water tubes had all been removed.
Though it may have little relevance given the age difference, the general system of wiring between the TSes in ships prior to Lord Nelson class is illustrated in Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914.
Evershed Bearing Indicators
It is unlikely that this equipment was ever provided.[Inference]
These ships never received directors for main or secondary batteries.
Local Control in Turrets
There was no provision in these ships for local turret control wherein the receivers in the turret could be driven by transmitters in the officer's position at the back of the turret.
These ships never received Dreyer tables.
Fire Control Instruments
In 1906, it was planned to equip Centurion with Siemens Mark II equipment throughout, but she is absent from a list of ships so equipped in a 1914 source. No reference to similar plans for Barfleur have been located.
- ↑ Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1891. pp. 38-9.
- ↑ Torpedo Manual, Vol. III, 1909. p. 265.
- ↑ Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914. p. 50 & Plates 50 and 54(I).
- ↑ Director Firing Handbook, 1917, pp. 142-3.
- ↑ Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914. p. 50.
- ↑ Handbook of Captain F. C. Dreyer's Fire Control Tables, 1918. p. 3.
- ↑ Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1906. p. 82.
- ↑ Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914. p. 72.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1914). Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914. G. 01627/14. C.B. 1030. Copy 1235 at The National Archives. ADM 186/191.
- H.M.S. Vernon. Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1906, with Appendix (Wireless Telegraphy). Copy 46 at The National Archives. ADM 189/26.
|Centurion Class Second Class Battleship|
|<–||Royal Sovereign Class||Battleships (UK)||Majestic Class||–>|