H.M.S. Princess Margaret (1914)
H.M.S. Princess Margaret was an ocean liner taken up for service as a minelayer in the Royal Navy.
Her sister ship, Princess Irene was also employed in the same capacity, but was lost to an explosion after a short career.
With the squadron being four ships in number, Princess Margaret was made flagship of the squadron, bearing a Captain (M) in February, 1916. In April 1917, she would cease carrying this special designation in the Navy Lists.
In May 1919, she was the only minelayer in the Home Fleet, again bearing a Captain (M). This arrangement would persist until at least June, 1919 and possibly quite some time beyond.
At war's end, she was regarded as being the best minelayer in service, owing to her great radius of action (1500 miles at full speed), shallow draught and oil burning machinery. She was not without defects, however. Her speed was insufficient (even though hers was notably higher than average), she had a single drop point for her mines, she presented a big target with her high freeboard, and could not embark mines directly onto her rails aft, and forward required special low-freeboard barges to bring them alongside.
Her guns were as follows.
- two 4.7-in
- two 12-pdrs
- two 6-pdr H.A.
- 420 H.2 or Mark VIII sinker mines
Dates of appointment are provided when known.
- Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (March, 1915). p. 11.
- Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (March, 1916). p. 14.
- Supplement to the Monthly Navy List. (May, 1919). p. 12.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, Mining Appendix, 1917-18. p. 12.
- Dittmar; Colledge. British Warships 1914–1919. p. 118.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, Mining Appendix, 1917-18. p. 12, Plate 7.
|Minelayer H.M.S. Princess Margaret|