Thomas John Spence Lyne
Rear-Admiral SIR Thomas John Spence Lyne, K.C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O., Royal Navy, Retired (25 September, 1869 – 25 December, 1955) was an officer of the Royal Navy. He was the first man in over half a century to rise from the lower deck to reach the rank of Captain, and the first to attain Flag Rank, albeit on the Retired List.
Early Life & Career
Lyne entered the service as a Boy, Second Class on 15 December, 1884.
Lyne was made Gunner on 16 February, 1898.
Lyne was specially promoted to the rank of Lieutenant with seniority of 26 June, 1902.
Lyne was appointed in command of the tug/special service vessel Traveller from 28 June, 1902 to 22 May, 1903.
On 25 August, 1925, Lyne was appointed a Companion in the Military Division of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (C.B.). On the same day, his fifty-fifth birthday, he was placed on the Retired List for age. He was advanced to the rank of Rear-Admiral on the Retired List on 3 April, 1931.
In the King's Birthday Honours of 1935, Spence Lyne was appointed a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (K.C.V.O.) on 3 June. He was knighted by the King at an investiture held at Buckingham Palace on 9 July.
- "Rear-Adml. Sir Thomas Lyne" (Obituaries). The Times. Wednesday, 28 December, 1955. Issue 53413, col C, pg. 11.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/170.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/143.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/125.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/91.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/68.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/50.
- The London Gazette: no. 31112. p. 364. 7 January, 1919.
- The London Gazette: no. 33078. p. 5627. 25 August, 1925.
- The London Gazette: no. 33079. p. 5968. 28 August, 1925.
- The London Gazette: no. 33706. p. 2332. 10 April, 1931.
- The London Gazette: no. 34166. p. 3600. (Supplement) 3 June, 1935.
- "Court Circular" (Court and Social). The Times. Wednesday, 10 July, 1935. Issue 47112, col B, p. 17.
- The Navy List. (May, 1903). p. 308a.
- The Navy List. (July, 1908). p. 400a.
- The Navy List. (August, 1912). p. 368.
- The Navy List. (July, 1924). p. 219.