Thirteenth D.F. (Royal Navy) at the Battle of Jutland

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

The Thirteenth Destroyer Flotilla participated in the Battle of Jutland with ten destroyers (plus two temporarily attached from the Harwich Force) under the lead of the light cruiser Champion, screening the First Battle Cruiser Squadron.

Eight of these vessels delivered a torpedo attack against the enemy battle cruisers at about 4.15pm, after gun and torpedo battle with enemy destroyers who were similarly tasked.

They were organised as follows:[1][2]

At the same time, Nepean remained in harbour and Paladin, Negro, Nereus, Penn and Penn were in dockyard hands.[3]

Their official reports from the Jutland Official Despatches are as follows.


On 3 June, Captain (D) James U. Farie issued a report from his flagship.[4]

No. 60.
H.M.S. "Champion,"
3rd June 1916.
I HAVE the honour to forward the following report of
Proceedings of H.M.S. " Champion " and 13th Destroyer Flotilla
during the recent action of the 31st May–lst June 1916.
2. At 2.50 p.m., 31st May, H.M.S. " Onslow "and " Moresby "
were detached to join H.M.S. "Engadine," but attacked enemy
Battle Cruiser Fleet with remainder of Flotilla, as described in
paragraph 5.
3. At commencement of action station was taken up on the
starboard bow of .H.M.S. "Lion," Destroyers in company
being :—
" Nestor " - Commander Hon. Edward B. S.
" Nomad " - Lieut. Commander Paul Whitfield.
" Narborough " - Lieut. Commander JP Geoffrey Corlett.
" Obdurate " - Lieut. Commander Cecil H. H. Sams.
" Petard " - Lieut. Commander Evelyn C. O. Thomson.
" Pelican " - Lieut. Commander Kenneth A. Beattie.
" Nerissa " - Lieut. Commander Montague C. B. Legge.
" Onslow " - Lieut. Commander John C. Tovey.
"Moresby " - Lieut. Commander Roger V. Alison.
" Nicator " - Lieutenant Jack E. A. Mocatta.
" Termagant " - Lieut. Commander Cuthbert P. Blake.
" Turbulent " - Lieut. Commander Dudley Stuart.
(The last two named Destroyers being temporarily attached.)
4. At 4.30 p.m. Enemy's Battle Fleet was sighted by
" Champion " and reported to you.
5. At 4.15 p.m. the whole Flotilla was ordered to attack
Enemy Battle Cruiser Fleet. This attack was well carried out,
and it is thought that at least two Enemy Destroyers were sunk.
I regret to state that H.M.S. " Nestor " (Commander Hon.
E. B. S. Bingham) and H.M.S. " Nomad " (Lieutenant Commander
Paul Whitfield) did not return from this action, and must be
considered to have been sunk.
6. At 7.45 p.m. H.M.S. " Onslow " was reported unable to
steam, and was taken in tow by H.M.S. " Defender."
7. No further opportunity of attacking Enemy occurred
during. the day.
8. At night station was taken astern of Battle Fleet, course
South. About 11.30 p.m. heavy firing was opened on our
starboard beam, apparently at some of our Destroyers between
the 13th Flotilla and the enemy. I hauled out to the eastward
as I was unable to attack with any of our own Flotilla, our own
forces being between me and the Enemy. I then resumed course
South ; firing was observed at intervals during the night on
our starboard beam. Destroyers of the 13th Flotilla, with the
exception of H.M.S. " Obdurate " and " Moresby," lost touch
with me during the night. H.M.S. " Narborough " as Senior
Officer, reports that he took charge of the remainder, and rejoined
the Fleet at 9.45 a.m. on the 1st instant.
H.M.S. " Marksman " and " Maenad " joined me at about
2.30 a.m. At 2.50 a.m. course was altered to North to conform
with signal received from the Commander-in-Chief.
9. At 3.25 a.m. four Destroyers, steering southward, were
sighted ; owing to the mist I was uncertain at first who they
were ; but at 3.30 a.m. I made them out to be the enemy, and
opened fire, range about 3,600 yards. Two torpedoes were
fired at "Champion," the first one passing under our bows, the
second just missing close astern. Enemy passed on opposite
course, and when ship had been steadied after avoiding torpedoes,
the enemy had disappeared in the mist, and I resumed my same
10. At 4.30 a.m. H.M.S. " Obdurate " picked up two
survivors, and H.M.S. " Marksman " one survivor, from H.M.S.
" Ardent."
At 5 a.m. two rafts were sighted, and H.M.S. " Moresby "
rescued seven men, and H.M.S. " Maenad " eleven men, survivors
from H.M.S. " Fortune."
11. At about 6 a.m. H.M.S. " Marksman " was detached to
examine vessel to westward, which appeared to be a disabled
Destroyer, and lost touch with me. Nothing further occurred,
and I returned to base, by your orders, arriving at 3.30 p.m.,
2nd June 1910.
12. Letter of Proceedings from H.M.S. " Narborough," the
Senior Officer surviving from Destroyer attack, is attached.
Reports have been called for from remainder of 13th Flotilla,
and an addendum to this letter will be forwarded when the
reports have been collected.
13. In addition to loss of H.M.S. " Nestor " and "Nomad,"
H.M.S. " Turbulent " '(Lieutenant-Commander Dudley Stuart)
is reported by H.M.S. " Narborough " to have been lost sight of
at 0.30 a.m. on the 1st instant, and was probably rammed, or
sunk by gunfire.
Total casualties and names have not yet been ascertained.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,
J. U. Farie,
13th Flotilla.

The Vice-Admiral Commanding

Battle Cruiser Fleet, H.M.S. " Lion."

On the 7th, Farie forwarded a collection of reports from his flotilla destroyers he'd collected in the previous days, but the full reports are also in the Despatches, and follow.


Nestor led the second division of the flotilla and was lost in action.

Commander Bingham was able to forward a pair of reports along with a track chart to the Secretary of the Admiralty from internment at Bella Vista in Scheveningen, Holland on 14 May, 1918. The first report covered the action of the second division from 4 p.m. onward.[5]

31ST MAY 1916.
Composition of the Division.
The 2nd Division consisted of the following T.B.D.s :—
" Nestor " (Commander Honble. E. B. S. Bingham, R.N.).
" Nomad " (Lieut.-Commander Paul Whitfield, R.N.).
" Nicator " (Lieutenant J. Mocatta).
H.M.S. " Onslow " was previously detached on special
service with H.M.S. " Engadine " and, therefore, does
not enter into my report.
2nd Division ordered to attack.
Shortly after 4.0 p.m. the signal was made by Captain " D,"
H.M.S. " Champion," to the 2nd Division under my command
to attack enemy's Battle Cruisers with torpedoes.
Proceeding to the attack.
I therefore hoisted the signal " Proceed at Full Speed" and
shaped a course two points to Port of our own Battle Cruisers
course in order to reach an advantageous position on the
starboard bow of the enemy Battle Cruiser line from whence
my attack would be subsequently launched; at the same time
I observed the enemy's T.B.D.s carrying out a similar

Bingham's Submitted Track Chart[6]

Strategical position and objectives.
This position A (see plan) was reached after half an hour's
steaming, and appeared to me to be a suitable point to turn
and carry out the following objectives :—
1. Frustrate the intended attack by the enemy's T.B.D.s,
on our own Battle Cruisers by engaging them with gunfire.
2. Press home our own torpedo attack on enemy's
Battle Cruisers.
With this in mind I turned my division approximately
14 points in succession, the remainder of the British Flotilla
conformed with this movement in their respective turn.
Destroyer action.
Fire was then opened at extreme range 10,000 on enemy's
T.B.D.s (15 in number) and we rapidly closed them. After
proceeding somewhat over five minutes on this North-Westerly
course, the " Nomad " hauled out of line and stopped
(position B), having received damage to her machinery.
The " Nicator " then took station a cable astern of " Nestor "
and a vigorous action ensued at close range between the two
opposing lines of destroyers. Before long two enemy's T.B.D.s
were observed to sink, and a 3rd to be heavily damaged steaming
at very slow speed; the remainder retired on their B.C. line,
dividing themselves into two portions.
Observations during action.
During this action, which came to very close quarters, I was
able to observe good results from the " Nestor's " salvo fire,
which, with that of the " Nicator," was, undoubtedly, responsible
for the sinking of their leading destroyer.
" Nestor " fires two torpedoes at enemy's B.C. line.
At position C, " Nestor " fired two torpedoes from the
starboard beam, both appearing to run well, as a result of which
the enemy's B.C.s were observed to alter course four points to
port in succession.
Enemy's T.B.D.s retire.--" Nestor " and " Nicator " press home
torpedo attack.
As related, the enemy's destroyers then retired, some of
which made back for the head of their B.C. line hotly pursued
by " Nestor " and " Nicator," the remainder shaped course
towards the rear of their B.C. line chased by the remaining two
divisions of British destroyers.
It will be seen in plan that "Nestor "and " Nicator " now
driving a portion of the enemy's T.B.D.s before them on an
E.N.E course, were at the same time rapidly closing the enemy's
B.Cs.; here we were subjected to the heaviest shell fire from the
secondary armament of most of their B.C.s, but we pressed on
fully determined to drive home our torpedo attack at the closest
possible range ; when within 3 to 4,000 yards and on the beam of
the leading B.C., the " Nestor " fired her third torpedo
(position D).
" Nestor " and " Nicator " withdraw, the former hit.
Then, having accomplished my two objectives, I turned back
followed by " Nicator " to rejoin Captain " D," H.M.S.
"Champion." Shortly after this turn, however, an enemy's
light cruiser, believed to be their flotilla cruiser, issuing from the
disengaged side of the German B.C. line, took us under heavy
fire and shortly before 5 p.m. one of her shells hit No. 1 boiler ;
six minutes later No. 2 boiler was also hit.
Between the positions E and F the " Nestor " was only able
to steam at slow speed, and eventually came to a standstill at
position F.
" Nestor " refuses assistance.
Before reaching the final position El, H.M.S. "Petard."
Lieut-Commander E. C. O. Thomson, closed to within hailing
distance of me offering assistance and a tow; this I was obliged
to refuse, for I could not see my way to involving a 2nd destroyer
in a danger which properly only applied to one, for at the time
we were still under fire and able to steam slowly. In the light
of subsequent events I am convinced that my decision was
" Nicator " rejoins Captain " D."
" Nicator," who had so gallantly supported me all through
the attack, succeeded in making good her escape and, I understand,
rejoined Captain " D."

Details on recommendation, personnel &c. omitted from the Report
as reproduced in the
Official Despatches.

Details of the proceedings of H.M.S. " Nestor " up to the
time she was stopped in the final position " F," have already
been given in report "A."
High Sea Fleet observed to the S.E.
No sooner had the two B.C. lines disappeared to the N.W.
hotly engaged than the German High Sea Fleet was observed
approaching from the S.E. following on the course of their B.C.s.
It became obvious that they would pass within three or four miles
of our position. At this time " Nomad " was lying stopped
E.S.E., one and a half miles from "Nestor."
The High Sea Fleet opened heavy fire on " Nomad " and she
sank after a few minutes.
Preparation to abandon ship.
From the time that we realised that our destruction was
imminent, all preparations were made with a view to saving
many lives as possible, and all confidential matter was thrown
overboard and seen to sink.
The motor boat and whaler were lowered to the water's edge
and the wounded were later placed in the motor boat. The
Carley floats were hoisted out and placed alongside, the dinghy
being damaged by shell fire was useless, the cables were got
ready on the F'xle in the unlikely event of a tow being forth-
coming ; this was done on the suggestion of Lieutenant M. J.
Bethell with a view to keeping the minds of the men occupied.
"Nestor" shelled by High Sea Fleet.
The High Sea Fleet then drew up and we were very soon
straddled, not before, however, we had fired our fourth and
remaining torpedo. The " Nestor " now occupied the undivided
attention of the H.S. Fleet and was hit in many places,
principally aft and rapidly commenced sinking by the stern.
Immediately I saw that she was doomed I gave my last order
"Abandon Ship."
Abandon ship, "Nestor" sinks.
This was carried out in perfect order and discipline; the boats
and Carley boats worked their way clear of the ship, which all
the time was being subjected to a tornado of fire, and *a few
minutes afterwards she reared up in a perpendicular position
and sank by the stern. Three cheers were given for the
" Nestor " and "God save the King" was sung.
As Your Lordships are aware, the greater part of the Officers
and men were saved, they being distributed in the motor boat
and two Carley floats, but a few were obliged to remain in the
water with their lifebelts on. The whaler, which had been
damaged by shell fire, shoved off with a party including myself,
but she sank after a few strokes and their occupants swam to
the motor boat, where they supported themselves holding on to
the gunwhale.
Enemy's T.B.D.s close, pick up, and make Prisoners of war of
" Nestor's" crew.
After a period of about twenty minutes a division of enemy's
T.B.D.s were detached from the H.S. Fleet and, closing us
rapidly, picked up all the survivors and hoisted our motor boat
inboard. Thus we found ourselves prisoners of war on board
S.M.T.B.D. " S 16 "; the " Nestor's " Officers and men were
promptly separated, the former being placed below in the
Captain's cabin, the wounded in the Wardroom, and the men
in the stokeholds and engine-room.
Survivors, 2 stokers from H.M.S. " Indefatigable."
At 8.30 p.m. two stokers from the "Indefatigable,"'uncon-
scious and covered in oil, were picked up and treated by Surgeon
probationer A. Joe, of "Nestor."
Conjectural movement of S.M. " S.16."
The subsequent movements of this T.B.D. can only be a
matter of conjecture; from statements made to me by Dr. Joe,
who was called forward to attend on " Indefatigable's " men,
and from further statements made to me by my ships' company,
I have reason to believe that we escorted a badly damaged B.C.
until noon on first of June; whether or not this B.C. reached
harbour I am unable to say, as the division of destroyers to
which we belonged parted company with her and proceeded


Bingham also submitted a report from the captain of Nomad, who likewise was interned.[7]

I HAVE the honour to report the circumstances leading to
the sinking of H.M.S. " Nomad " under my command, by
gunfire of the enemy during the battle of Jutland on May 31st,
On May 30th, " Nomad " and " Nicator," in company with
"Birmingham," were carrying out a night patrol, and during
that night received orders to join H.M.S. " Lion " and Battle
Cruiser Squadron off May Island in the morning.
At about 5 a.m. we sighted the fleet, and I received orders
to join up with Captain " D " of 13th Flotilla, in "Champion."
During the afternoon of May 31st we heard many wireless
messages on the German Telefunken note, which was reported
to be getting closer and closer.
All preparations were made for Action, and the hands sent
to their Action Stations, and allowed to fall out again when
everything was found correct.
The signal was then received for " Champion " and the
13th Flotilla to take station one mile ahead of the 1st B.C.s,
and " Champion " and the three divisions of the 13th Flotilla
at once went on ahead, forming in " L.T." formation, with
"Nestor," " Nomad " and " Nicator " on the port wing.
The enemy were soon sighted, and the hands sent to Action
Stations. Very soon the B.C.s were engaging the Battle
Cruisers of the enemy, and at this early stage it would appear
that " Nomad " was hit somewhere aft, as a great noise was
heard in the region of the main bearings.
At about 4 p.m. the " Lion " ordered destroyers to attack,
and led by Commander Bingham in H.M.S. " Nestor," " Nomad "
and " Nicator " followed. As these ships developed full speed,
it became apparent that something was wrong in the main
bearings of " Nomad," as she was losing ground on " Nestor,"
and ' Nicator " drew up on our beam. To keep the close
formation of the division, I ordered " Nicator " to pass me, and
myself took " Nicator's " position of third ship of the line.
I sent for the Engineer Officer and enquired if anything was
wrong, and he replied that he was finding out and that there
was a great noise in the main bearings. Flange joints had
started to leak and after these were tightened up the ship was
able to maintain the speed of the division.
The Division having steamed sufficiently ahead to enable an
attack to be made, " Nestor " turned towards the enemy and,
followed by " Nicator " and "Nomad," commenced the attack.
At this moment about 15 enemy destroyers advanced to
intercept us, and I ordered fire to be opened on the third
destroyer of the line.
It would seem that the enemy considerably underestimated
the speed of our division, as the " Nomad " was soon being
badly hit, while the " Nestor " and " Nicator " seemed to suffer
less. A shell close by the bridge brought down the wireless gear,
and at the same time dislocated the searchlight.
Firing at the enemy's destroyers was carried with precision,
resulting in the turning of the enemy's destroyers and rendering
at least two out of action.
During this encounter, and before being close enough to fire
our torpedoes with good effect, a shell entered the Engine Room,
tearing up the deck for about 8 feet and bursting in the Engine
Room, shattered the Starboard Bulkhead valve, and destroyed
all the steampipes in the vicinity. I regret that this shell killed
Eng. Lt.-Commdr. Benoy and severely wounded E.R.A. Willis,
whose ultimate fate was never known.
Steam poured into the Engine Room, and the main engines
and auxiliary engines came to a standstill. The emergency gear
shutting off steam to the Engine Room having been rendered
useless, I gave orders to shut off from the boilers. It was then
reported to me by the Senior E.R.A., T. C. Dickson, that the
stokeholds reported that they could not get water and I ordered
the upper deck emergency valves to the oil burners to be shut.
It was later discovered that the feed tanks had been shot through.
With the ship stopped, firing at the enemy was continued,
and one enemy destroyer was seen to sink.
By this time the fleets had turned 16 points and the foremost
4-in. gun reported that it could no longer bear on the enemy.
This report was immediately followed by a similar report from
the midship 4-in. gun.
The after 4-in. gun continued firing for a while, but, being
continually enveloped in clouds of steam, had to cease firing.
My attention was drawn by the signalman to a torpedo
coming straight for the ship from the starboard quarter. I, at
that moment, was watching the trail of another torpedo coming
straight under the bridge from the starboard bow. Happily
both torpedoes passed under the ship without hitting.
I ordered the ship to be prepared for being towed, and when
this was done, observing that the ship's list to port had visibly
increased and that she was slowly sinking by the stern, I ordered
the confidential books, papers, and charts to be destroyed.
Proceeding aft to destroy the confidential books in my cabin,
I observed an enemy's battle squadron on the horizon on the
starboard quarter, but too far aft to allow of my torpedoes being
fired. It seemed to be a question whether this squadron would
arrive on a possible bearing before the ship had listed to such an
extent as to make the firing of torpedoes impossible. As it
turned out, the enemy came on the bearing just in time, the
torpedoes only just clearing the tube, and the last torpedo, I
consider, damaged its tail on clearing, so great was the list.
I then, with Able Seaman W. Read, went aft to complete the
destruction of the confidential books.
Immediately after this was done, out of the haze appeared
another of the enemy's battle squadrons. " Nomad " was lying
directly in their course, and firing was opened by them on the
already crippled and sinking ship. The squadron firing at us
were four ships, of which the " Thüringen " and " Posen " were
"The ship was soon again being badly hit and rapid salvoes
were being fired at us.
Seeing the ship could not float much longer, and with a view
to saving as much life as possible, I ordered the ship to be
abandoned. During this time the fore magazine was hit and
blew up and No. 2 boiler was hit.
I went round the ship and, ascertaining that her life was a
matter of minutes, left her. Firing was continued at her up to
a range of 500 yards, and a salvo was fired at her after she sank,
about a minute and a half after my leaving her.

Details on recommendation, personnel &c. omitted from the Report
as reproduced in the
Official Despatches.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,
Commander, R.N.

Commander Hon. E. B. S. Bingham, V.C., R.N.


Narborough submitted her own report on 2 June.[8]

I HAVE the honour to report in accordance with your
orders the following movements of the 13th Flotilla on 31st May
and 1st June 1916.
Previous to action commencing the Flotilla was stationed
ahead of Battle Cruiser Squadron. Shortly after the action had
commenced Destroyers were ordered to attack with torpedoes,
second and third Divisions drew out to Port of " Champion "
in accordance with orders signalled to get ahead for attacking.
Third Division followed second Division down to the attack,
but " Petard " and " Turbulent " were separated by "Notting-
ham " crossing " Petard's " bows. " Petard " and " Turbulent "
proceeded independently.
Previous to turning, the German High Sea Fleet were
observed coming up from the Southward.
Before getting into the favourable position to fire Torpedoes,
enemy's Light Cruisers and Destroyers, fourteen or fifteen in
No., came across towards our Battle Cruiser Squadron, and were
intercepted by 13th and 9th Flotillas. General firing took place;
the Third Division were unable to open fire owing to the 9th
Flotilla, who had come up in the opposite direction, getting
between them and enemy Destroyers. Enemy's flotilla retired
to their own Battle Cruiser Squadron after short action. It is
thought that at least two enemy Destroyers were sunk.
The position of enemy's Battle Cruiser Squadron was then
unfavourable for firing Torpedoes, and in view of enemy's Battle
Fleet having been sighted, I decided not to fire Torpedoes at
long range at Battle Cruiser Squadron, but to retain all
Torpedoes for use pending Fleet action. Accordingly " Nar-
borough " and " Pelican " rejoined " Champion." The remaining
Destroyers of the 13th Flotilla rejoined " Champion " except
" Nestor " and " Nomad," who had been observed badly
Proceeded in company of " Champion " from 8 p.m. till
midnight. Firing was observed to starboard beam at intervals
between 10 and 11 p.m. and a heavy action at 11.30 p.m.
Several ships were seen on starboard beam about midnight, but
it could not be made out whether hostile.
At 0.30 a.m., 1st June 1916, a large vessel making much
smoke was observed crossing the rear of the Flotilla from
starboard to port at a fast speed. This vessel was thought to
be one of our Light Cruisers or an Armoured Cruiser of the
" Warrior " class, one of whom had been on our starboard
quarter during the First Watch. When on starboard quarter at
about 1,000 yards vessel switched on two red lights over one
green for a few seconds, then switched searchlights on to rear
boats and opened heavy fire. " Petard " was struck and
severely damaged; " Turbulent " was either rammed or heavily
shelled and no further note of her was obtained. Vessel was
immediately lost sight of owing to heavy smoke.
Flotilla then proceeded to the Westward.
At Daylight it was noticed that Destroyers ahead were not
in touch with " Champion." I took charge of Destroyers
13th Flotilla, consisting of " Narborough," " Pelican," " Ne
rissa," " Nicator," and " Petard," and placed myself under
orders of " Lydiard " of 9th Flotilla. " Termagant " had
previously rejoined 9th Flotilla.
On receiving orders by W/T to join Battle Cruiser Squadron
I proceeded as requisite, rejoining Fleet at 9.45 a.m., having
previously despatched " Petard " and " Nicator " to base as
they were running short of fuel. At 7 p.m., 13th Flotilla were
ordered to join " Badger " and return to base. Arrived base at
2 p.m. 2nd June 1916.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

To Captain (D)

13th Destroyer Flotilla,
H.M.S. " Champion."


Obdurate submitted her own report on 3 June.[9]

I BEG to report that at the commencement of the action
on 31st May between H.M. Battle Cruisers and the German
High Sea Fleet, H.M.S. " Obdurate " was separated from the
remainder of the 13th Flotilla, and was about 1,000 yards on
the engaged side of H.M.S. " Lion."
Every endeavour was made to join the flotilla, but this was
not accomplished when the signal was made to carry out a
Torpedo Attack on the enemy.
On receiving the Signal, " Obdurate " turned towards the
enemy's Battle Cruiser Fleet and soon became engaged with
their destroyers and one Light Cruiser, who were apparently
approaching to carry out a torpedo attack on our Battle Cruisers.
Range varied from 6,000 to 3,000 yards, and durIng the
destroyer action one of the enemy's destroyers was blown up,
and two others badly damaged; probably one of those two sank
as the guns firing at her lost sight of her.
The enemy Destroyers and light cruisers were driven back
to the protection of their big ships' guns, and the "Obdurate
was then too far astern to deliver a torpedo attack.
H.M.S. " Obdurate " was hit twice by a 4.1 shell, but suffered
no casualties.
" Obdurate " then rejoined H.M.S. "Champion," and re-
mained with her till ordered to return to base at 1 p.m. on
1st June.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

Captain (D),

13th FLotilla,
H.M.S. " Champion."


Petard submitted her own report on 2 June.[10]

I HAVE the honour to report the proceedings of H.M. Ship
tinder my command during the action on 31st May.
2. " Petard " was in company with 13th Flotilla ahead of
"Lion " at the commencement of the action, and when destroyers
were ordered to attack was in station astern of " Pelican " and
" Narborough." Owing to " Nottingham " cutting through
flotilla, " Petard " had to reduce speed and pass astern of her,
and then being some distance astern of "Pelican," I decided to
attack with "Turbulent," and accordingly attacked immediately
after " Nestor's " division. The first torpedo fired was set for
high speed, six feet deep, and was aimed by Mr. Epworth, Gunner
(T), at the head of the German Destroyer Flotilla, which was
crossing over to meet our attack. The track of the torpedo was
closely followed, and the tube's crew state they undoubtedly saw
it bit a German T.B.D. about amidships and explode. I certainly
myself opened fire with my guns on this T.B.D. a few minutes
later, and she was then lying stopped, with her upper deck awash
and obviously sinking.
3. " Petard " then took part in the general engagement with
the German Destroyers, and the three remaining torpedoes were
fired at a range of about 7,000 yards on the bow of the German
Battle Cruisers. All these torpedoes were fired at about the
second or third German Battle Cruiser, and must have crossed
the track of the German line.
4. After this, as our Fleet had turned to the Northward,
" Petard " proceeded to rejoin, and passing the spot where the
hull of H.M.S. " Queen Mary" was lying, picked up the Captain
of the after turret of that ship. " Petard " then passed astern
of the 5th Battle Squadron and rejoined " Champion." " Petard "
remained with the Flotilla, and accompanied it South during
the night.
5. At 12.15 a.m. course was altered to S.W. by W., and about
ten minutes later the line crossed ahead of a division of German
Battleships. I sighted the leading Battleship about six points
on my starboard bow, steering S.E. at about 400 or 500 yards.
This ship switched on recognition lights, consisting of two red
over one white light and, as some destroyer ahead of me in the
line then switched on her "fighting lights," I think the Germans
at once knew we were enemy. As " Petard " had no torpedoes
left, I could not attack, so I increased to full speed and altered
course slightly to port to avoid being rammed. I passed about
200 yards ahead of the German ship, who appeared to be one
of the " Wittelsbach " class.
6. As soon as we were clear of her stem, she illuminated us
with searchlights, and we came under a heavy fire from her
and the next ship in the line. Two salvoes seemed to strike
us, and in all, I think, we received six hits.
No. 1 was aft on the port side of the Quarterdeck ; this shot
disabled the whole after gun's crew and supply party.
No. 2 blew a hole in the ship's side in the Commanding
Officer's cabin, about three feet by two, and then wrecked the
whole of the Officers' cabins.
No. 3 made a large hole in the upper deck on top of No. 2
stokehold, and then entering the stokehold cut an oil pressure
gauge pipe. The oil spurting out of this pipe made a considerable
No. 4 hit below the midship gun platform and did little
No. 5 was, apparently, a shrapnel, and this burst just short
of the ship in line with the two foremost funnels, covering the
whole of that part of the ship with splinters. Most of the cowls
and plates in this part of the ship were penetrated by these.
No. 6 hit a cowl aft and did little damage besides.
If only " Petard " had had some torpedoes left, I am certain
a successful torpedo attack could easily have been made.

Details on recommendation, personnel &c. omitted from the Report
as reproduced in the
Official Despatches.

10. I regret that I never saw H.M.S. "Turbulent," who
was in station astern of " Petard," after passing this German
Squadron. According to the evidence of some of my ship's
company I am afraid she must have been rammed and sunk.
11. After this action " Petard " proceeded as fast as possible,
and eventually rejoined the Flotilla at daylight. At 6.0 p.m.
" Petard " and " Nicator " were detached to return to Rosyth.
At 7.0 a.m. " Nicator " transferred Probationary Surgeon Neil
MacLeod to "Petard," who carried out his work in a most
excellent manner but, I am afraid, was too late to save most of
the wounded. Previous to his arrival C.P.O. Thomas Knight,
O.N. (165,128), had done his utmost for them.
12. At 3.30 p.m. in Lat. 55.50 N., Long. 0.55 W., " Nicator "
reported that she was attacked by a submarine, and a torpedo
passed under her stern. " Petard " and " Nicator " eventually
arrived at Rosyth at 7.45 p.m.

Details on recommendation, personnel &c. omitted from the Report
as reproduced in the
Official Despatches.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,
E. C. O. Thomson,
Lieutenant Commander.

The Captain (D),

13th Destroyer Flotilla.


Pelican submitted her report on 4 June.[11]


I: HAVE the honour to report the following proceedings
H.M. Ship- of under my command during the engagement of 31st
May—1st June 1916.
The formation of the fleet was cruising order, course S.S. 1 E.,
1912 knots.
The enemy Battle cruisers accompanied by destroyers were
sighted at 3.15 p.m. G.M.T.
At 3.45 H.M.S. " Champion " and 13th Flotilla formed single
line ahead and took station on starboard bow of the B.C.P.
Fire was opened by the enemy at 3.48 and by our fleet at 3.50.
At 4.20, having received a signal to attack with torpedoes,
the 13th Flotilla proceeded in the order 1st, 2nd and 3rd Divs.
The 3rd Div., consisting of " Narborough " and "Pelican,"
were unable to fire torpedoes owing to the other two divisions
being engaged by enemy torpedo craft between the fleets and
by a division of 9th Flotilla, who were coming up in the opposite
direction; we therefore turned to rejoin "Champion."
The flotilla reformed in single line ahead and took station on
the disengaged side of 5th Battle Squadron, Course Nly.
At 6.00 the Grand Fleet was sighted steering about S. by E.,
and fire was opened at 6.15 p.m.
Between 7.10 and 10.20 Courses were South and South-West
with speeds varying between 10 and 20 knots, during which
time firing was observed on Starboard beam and quarter.
At about 10.35 there was heavy firing in N.Wly. direction,
and destroyers were seen in the Search light rays attacking
ships. Shortly after there was a huge explosion in that direction.
At 0.40, June 1st, when on a Course S.W., speed 30 knots,
observed two ships on Starboard quarter, which were at first
taken to be our Light Cruisers. They switched on three
vertical lights, the upper two being red, and the lower
green, at the same time " Pelican's " stern was lit up by a
Search light, which was immediately transferred to " Petard "
and " Turbulent " who were astern.
When sighted position was unfavourable for attack and, as
she was shortly lost sight of, " Pelican " proceeded to regain
touch with the flotilla.
At daybreak it was found that the destroyers then in
company were as follows Narborough," "Pelican," " Pe-
tard, ' " Nerissa," " Nicator " and a division of 9th Flotilla,
led by " Lydiard." These were formed up at 1.30 a.m. and
steered N. 70 W. at IS knots.
At 5.35, having received a signal to rejoin B.C.F., " Nar-
borough," " Pelican " and " Nerissa " proceeded S. 60 E. at
25 knots.
At 9.50 sighted Grand Fleet, and at 10.08 joined Flag
" Lion," and took up position for submarine screen, Course
N. by W.
At 4.0 p.m. " Pelican " was ordered to return to base to
replenish with fuel, where she arrived at 1.30 p.m., 2 June,
with 9 tons of oil only remaining on board.
Nothing of importance occurred on the passage back.
The conduct of all officers and men was everything that
could be desired under the trying circumstances of waiting to
join in the action which I felt confident would be the case, having
had the majority of them under my command for over two

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

The Captain (D),

13th Flotilla.


Submitted her report on 5 June.[12]

I HAVE the honour to report proceedings of H.M. Ship
under my smand during recent action in the North Sea on
31st May _6, and 1st June 1916. Being in company with
1st Battle Cruiser Squadron, "New Zealand," "Indefatigable,"
"Barham," "Malaya," "Valiant," " Warspite," " eiampion,"
"Fearless," 13th Flotilla, two divisions of first Flotilla, one
division of 10th Flotilla, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Light Cruiser
31st May.
P. M.
3. 0. 1st Light Cruiser Squadron reported in action.
3.30. Sighted enemy's Battle Cruisers, five in number, with
destroyers and Light Cruisers. 13th Flotilla took
station ahead of 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron, having
been screening them previously.
3.44. Enemy opened fire and action developed.
4. 0. Sighted High Sea Fleet ahead.
4.30. 13th Flotilla ordered to attack enemy's Battle Cruisers
with torpedoes. Took station astern of 3rd division of
13th Flotilla and commenced attack on a Northerly
course, owing to enemy turning 16 points, this attack
had eventually to be carried out on a Southerly course,
which I did in company with " Termagant," firing two
torpedoes, range 7,000 yards. Just previous to this
attack " Nomad " was observed quite close, stopped
and apparently badly damaged in the Engine Room,
the enemy's Light Cruisers were thing accurate salvoes
during the attack, and this fire was returned, though
spotting was very difficult, one torpedo apparently
took effect on rear ship. Rejoined " Champion " on
disengaged side of Battle Cruisers, steering to the
Northward and joined the Grand Fleet, remaining in
company with " Champion" throughout the remainder
of the action.
9.10. Altered Course to South 20 knots.
9,36. Altered Course to S.S.E. 17 knots.
11 . 4 0 . Observed firing and searchlights abaft starboard beam, a
ship apparently being attacked by destroyers, many
salvoes fell between " Nerissa " and "Moresby," who
was next ahead.
11 . 4 5 . Lost touch with " Moresby " and remained in company
with " Lydiard," Course S.E., 25 knots.
1st June.
12.28. Altered Course to S.W., 30 knots,
1.20. Altered Course to N. 70 W., 25 knots ; more firing astern
was observed.
3. 0. 15 knots.
5.30. Altered course to N. 70 E., 25 knots, to rejoin Battle
Cruiser Squadron in company with " Narborough "
and "Pelican."

Details on recommendation, personnel &c. omitted from the Report
as reproduced in the
Official Despatches.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

The Captain (D),

H.M.S. " Champion."


Submitted her report on 2 June.[13]

I HAVE the honour to forward the following report of the
part taken by H.M. Ship under my command during the action
of the 31st May, 1916. During the forenoon and early afternoon
of Wednesday, 31st May, " Onslow," working as a unit of the
13th Flotilla, was screening the 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron.
At 2.50 p.m. " Onslow " and " Moresby " were detached to close
"Engadine." I took " Moresby " under my orders and pro-
ceeded to close " Engadine " at 25 knots course East, at 3.0 p.m.
" Engadine " stopped and hoisted out one seaplane then
steamed N. by E., 20 knots, waiting for seaplane to return,
finally hoisting it in at 3.45 p.m. At 3.50 p.m. enemy's Battle
Cruisers were sighted steering approximately S.S.E., shortly
afterwards being engaged by the 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron
and 5th Battle Squadron on a nearly parallel ,course. I then
asked the Commanding Officer of " Engadine " if he further
required assistance of " Onslow " and "Moresby," and on
receiving reply "No," I proceeded with " Moresby " to close
the nearest squadron, the 5th Battle Squadron, at 30 knots,
course S.S.E. at 4.55 p.m. I again sighted the 1st Battle Cruiser
Squadron and enemy's Battle Cruisers returning, steering approxi-
mately N.N.E. I turned to N.N.E., taking station about
3 miles on engaged bow of "Lion." I found that steering
N.N.E. " Onslow " was rapidly opening from " Lion " and
closing enemy's Battle Cruisers about 5 points on their engaged
bow, distant 18,000 yards. I was unable to see any enemy's
Light Cruisers or Destroyers ahead of their Battle Cruisers, and
deemed it a favourable opportunity to deliver an attack with
torpedoes, and with this idea proceeded to close enemy more.
Shortly afterwards four enemy Light Cruisers appeared ahead of
their Battle Cruisers and closed " Onslow," and opened a heavy
and very accurate fire on both " Onslow " and "Moresby."
Realising I should be unable to get within torpedo range,
at 5.5 p.m. I retired N.W. in the direction of "Lion," "Moresby,"
to avoid making a double target with " Onslow," separated and
went astern of 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron, " Onslow " taking
station astern of 1st Light Cruiser Squadron on engaged bow of
"Lion," course N.N.E. Armoured cruisers of Grand Fleet were
sighted at 5.45 p.m. Grand Fleet Battle Squadron at 5.50 p.m.
I had been endeavouring to join up with one of our Destroyer
Flotillas, the only one close was the 1st Flotilla on the
disengaged beam of 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron. As I was in a
most advantageous position for repelling enemy's Destroyers
endeavouring to attack 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron, or
delivering an attack myself, I considered it better for me to
remain on engaged bow of "Lion." At about 8.5 p.m. enemy's
Battle Cruisers turned to a course about &E., 1st Battle Cruiser
Squadron turned to approximately the same course shortly
afterwards. At this moment sighting an enemy Light Cruiser,
class uncertain, with 3 funnels and topgallant forecastle, only
about 6,000 yards from 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron, I decided to
attack her to endeavour to frustrate her firing torpedoes at our
Battle Cruisers. I gave orders to all guns to engage enemy
Light Cruiser, and 58 rounds were fired at a range of 2,000 to
4,000 yards, undoubtedly a large number of hits were scored as
they were easily spotted at this range. While closing this Light
Cruiser I saw Enemy Battle Cruisers had again turned, placing
" Onslow " 4 points on their port bow about 11,000 yards. I
then gave orders for all torpedoes to be fired at enemy Battle
Cruiser line by Gunner T, on receiving a further executive signal
from myself on the bridge. On arriving at 8,000 yards from
leading enemy Battle Cruiser I gave this signal and turned the
ship to port to bring enemy on my starboard beam. There
appeared to be delay in carrying out the order, and Sub-
Lieutenant R. L. Moore ran down to tubes and got astride
foremost tube alongside Captain of tube's crew. On the sights
coming on to centre enemy's Battle Cruiser, he gave the order
to fire, I saw this torpedo leave the tube and instantaneously
the ship was struck by a big shell amidships the starboard side.
Immediately there was a big escape of steam, completely
enveloping both Torpedo tubes. On enquiring I received a
report that all torpedoes had been fired and consequently turned
away at greatly reduced speed, passing about 3,500 yards from
enemy's Light Cruiser previously mentioned. I sent to Sub-
Lieutenant Moore to find out damage done ; while doing this
he discovered only one torpedo had been fired, and observing
enemy's Light Cruiser beam on, and apparently temporarily
stopped, fired a torpedo at her. Sub-Lieutenant Moore, Leading
Signalman Cassin, also several other ratings and myself, saw
torpedo hit Light Cruiser below conning tower and explode.
Sub-Lieutenant Moore then came forward and reported to me we
still had two torpedoes left, and at the same time drew my
attention to enemy's line of battleships. " Onslow " was on
their port bow about 8,000 yards. Both remaining torpedoes
were fired under the supervision of Sub-Lieutenant Moore ; they
started the run satisfactorily and must have crossed enemy's
line. I then proceeded to close H.M.S. "Champion," with the
idea of rejoining 13th Flotilla, but owing to two shells having
exploded in No. 2 boiler room, and badly damaged main feed
tank, and all the water in reserve feed tank being now used at
7.0 p.m., ship stopped, and owing to loss of electric current, I
was unable to answer " Champion's " searchlight. At 7.15 p.m.
" Defender " closed " Onslow " and asked if assistance was
required. On learning " Defender " could only steam ten knots,
I asked to be taken in tow whilst endeavouring to effect repairs,
this " Defender " did under very trying conditions and with
large enemy ships rapidly approaching. In tow of "Defender
I then proceeded W. by N. Using salt water feed, Engineer
Lieutenant Commander Foulkes raised steam for slow speed to
enable me to use steering engine and when weather got worse,
to lessen strain on towing hawser. Owing to the ship's condition,
No. 2 boiler room and captain's cabin flat were flooded and a
considerable quantity of water also getting into Wardroom and
Officers' cabin flat, and weather getting bad, I decided to make
for nearest port—Aberdeen—arriving there at 1.0 p.m. the
2nd June.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

Captain (D),

13th Flotilla


Submitted her report on 3 June.[14]

I HAVE the honour to report that H.M.S. "Moresby,"
under my Command, was in company with " Engadine " and
" Onslow " at the commencement of the Action. " Onslow's "
orders were carried out and at 5 p.m. an enemy " Dreadnought "
squadron, then observed steering Northward, was attacked.
1. 5.10 p.m., being two points before the beam of the leading
Ship, 6-8,000 yards, a long range torpedo was fired at the third
Ship. The enemy bad station did not justify further expendi-
ture in view of the night work expected to follow. About
eight minutes later I observed an upheaval due to a Torpedo
and am informed it was on the sixth Ship. This agrees with
the director setting. The enemy were then straddling frequently
—my smoke was bad—I therefore turned towards the enemy
and ran between the lines in order to clear the range from smoke
The enemy shooting was very good and had they fired double
salvoes they would have hit. By observing attentively and
using large helm, the Ship was not straddled more than 6 times
and only one piece of H.E. was picked up.
The enemy Ships appeared not to fire after a certain bearing,
but the fresh Ship starting seemed to straddle with almost the
first salvo, though not again.
The deflection was often too much, and simple use of helm
avoided the following salvo which would have hit.
2. Passing astern of the 5th B.S. I rejoined " Champion " at
6.30 p.m. Her orders were then carried out.
3. About 2.35 a.m. four " Deutschland " Class Ships were
seen bearing West, 4,000 yards. I considered action imperative,
hoisted Compass West, hauled out to Port, firing a H.S. Torpedo
at 2.37 G.M.T. No more could be fired as the left tube was
empty and the fore director was pointed skyward when the sights
bore of that tube. This incident and opportunity was over very
quickly as the enemy were steaming 18 knots S.E. A concussion
shook the Ship about 2 minutes later, it was well marked aft and
was felt in the "Obdurate." Mist and smoke prevented the
enemy being seen again, but I feel certain, the enemy were
"Deutschland." and that the Torpedo hit something.
4. At 2.47 a.m. the " Champion " was rejoined and her orders
5. At 1.30 p.m., 1st June, orders were received to return to
base, due to lack of oil. " Nonsuch " was heard, and a zigzag
search was carried out until the uncertainty of my position and
lack of fuel caused me to proceed.
6. Four Light Cruisers were met at 3.30 p.m., course N.W.
At 4.40 p.m. 5 " Shannons "and one Destroyer steering N. 50 W.
Base was reached at 7.30 a.m.
7. Torpedoes were observed at 7.48 p.m., 1st May, 2 in No.,
one ahead and the second astern.
About 3.35 a.m., 1st June, two more were seen set shallow
one of these was just avoided, it appeared to keep very good
depth, but was not a Heater.

Details on recommendation, personnel &c. omitted from the Report
as reproduced in the
Official Despatches.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

Captain (D) 13,

H.M.S. " Champion."


Submitted her report on 4 June.[15]

I HAVE the honour to report in accordance with your
order :—
That on signal from V.A. Battle Cruisers to take station ahead
being received, " Nicator " took up station as ordered.
On finding it necessary to reduce speed to keep station on
"Nomad," who appeared to be dropping astern, permission was
requested and approved to pass ahead and take station astern
of " Nestor."
At 4.15 p.m. Second Division being ordered to attack, full
speed, was ordered. At 4.20 p.m. enemy's destroyers appeared
to be within gun range and effective fire was opened at 7,000 yards
(rate rapidly closing).
At this time "Nestor," with " Nicator " and "Nomad
astern, was steering a course closing enemy's B.C.F. at an
inclination of about three points, to attain good position to
On " Nicator " opening fire, second division was subjected
to moderately heavy fire from enemy's T.B.D.'s and one Light
On attaining a position five points before beam of leading
ship of enemy's B.C.F., " Nestor " turned twelve points (approxi-
mately), to Port followed by " Nicator " and "Nomad," thereby
steering a roughly reciprocal course, closing enemy's line at an
inclination of about two points.
At this time "Second Division" was subjected to a heavy
fire from secondary armament of enemy's B.C.F. and one Light
" Nomad " was badly hit and hauled out of line to Port.
Range of enemy's B.C.F. was now estimated at about
6,000 yards, and, position being favourable for attack, a Torpedo
was fired. A second Torpedo was fired at 5,000 yards on the
same side.
This torpedo was fired as it was considered very unlikely that
the ship would escape disablement before another opportunity
occurred. During this attack, enemy's T.B.D.'s were continually
engaged with gunfire, and were observed to be retiring, leaving
at least two in a disabled condition.
When enemy's B.C.F. bore abeam, " Nestor " and" Nicator "
altered course about twelve points in succession to Starboard.
At the same time enemy's B.C.F. altered course 16 points
together ; this brought " Nestor " and " Nicator " still closing
enemy about 2 points on a reciprocal course.
The enemy's B.C.F. was now supplemented by a very large
number of Battleships in line ahead, astern of IMF. " Nestor '
and " Nicator " were now subjected to a very heavy fire from
secondary armament of enemy's Battle Met at a range of about
3,000 yards, and position being favourable, a third Torpedo was
fired at second ship of enemy's Battle Fleet.
" Nestor " and " Nicator " continued to close until within
about 2,500 yards, when " Nestor" was hit in region of No. 1
boiler room ; she immediately altered course 8 points to
Starboard and " Nicator " was obliged to alter inside her to
avoid collision, thereby failing to fire a fourth Torpedo.
Signal for Destroyers recall being observed " Nicator "
altered to West (approx.) and rejoined " Champion " forming
single line ahead on her. Whilst returning, " Nomad " was
observed to be stopped between the lines.
During Torpedo attack, enemy's T.B.D.'s were passed on a
reciprocal course at a range of about 600 yards;[16] their fire
appeared to be very poor. Whilst the ship was subject to very
heavy fire from enemy's Battle Fleet, course was altered to
either side of " Nestor's " wake at frequent intervals to avoid
At 6.0 p.m. on signal " Pdts. 1A " being made " Nicator "
took station astern of "Termagant," informing " Obdurate " of
her having joined First Division. Remained in company with
" Champion" for remainder of action.
At about 9.30 p.m. (course S.S.E., 20 knots), in company with
" Champion " and T.B.D.'s, heavy firing was heard and seen off
Starboard bow.
At 9.50 p.m. a/c South, heavy firing was heard at frequent
intervals off the Starboard beam. This was assumed to be a
division of enemy's Battleships or Cruisers being attacked by
divisions of a T.B.D. Flotilla ; vessels attacked appeared at about
12.15 a.m. to be distant 34 mile.
" Nicator " was occasionally in beam of searchlights and
several salvoes fell close.
At 12.30 a.m. a/c to S.W., Speed 30 knots (following
"Termagant ").
At 1.17 a.m. a/c to W.N.W., 25 knots.
At daylight it was seen that " Termagant " and " Nerissa "
were astern of Ninth Flotilla "Champion," and remainder of
First Div. of 13th Flotilla not in sight—(" Turbulent" not in
At 5.50 a.m. a/c to N. 70 E., 20 knots.
At 6.15 a.m., on account of shortage of oil, was ordered by
" Lydiard " to return to Base in company with "Petard."
At 3.30 p.m., in Lat. 55-50 N., Long. 0-55 W., a Torpedo
fired by a hostile submarine was observed approaching from
abaft the Starboard beam at an angle of thirty degrees, running
on the surface ; helm was at once put hard a starboard and
telegraphs to full speed. Torpedo passed ahead.
On resuming course a submerged explosion was very distinctly
felt all over the ship ; no damage could be found.
Submarine was not sighted.
Arrived Queensferry 9.40 p.m., 1st June.

Details on recommendation, personnel &c. omitted from the Report
as reproduced in the
Official Despatches.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,
Lieutenant in Command.

Captain (D),

H.M.S. " Champion."


Termagant was part of the Harwich Force's Tenth Destroyer Flotilla, but was temporarily attached to the Thirteenth for the battle. Her report was dated 11 June, and passed through a few hands.[17]

I HAVE the honour to forward herewith a report of
proceedings of this ship on 31st May--Ist June 1916.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

The Commodore (T)

(through Captain (D), 10th Flotilla).

30th May.
9.45. Proceeded under orders of " Champion," with 13th
31st May.
0. 0. Formed submarine screen on 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron,
speed 18 knots; course, N. 73° E.
1.15. Co. N. 81° E.
2.35. Fleet commenced to zig-zag. Co. and speed as requisite
for keeping station.
3.25. Co. of Fleet, East; speed, 25 knots. Assumed complete
readiness for action.
3.30. Enemy sighted E. by N.
3.32. 13th Flotilla proceeded to take station ahead of " Lion."
3.42. 13th Flotilla proceeded to take station on starboard bow
of "Lion," 2 miles.
3.45. 13th Flotilla proceeded to form Divisions in line ahead.
4.05. " Lion " ordered destroyers to attack with torpedoes.
Proceeded astern of " Nerissa " to attack.
4.32. Opened fire on enemy Light Cruiser, range 5,000 yards,
under fire of enemy Light Cruiser and destroyers.
No suitable opportunity occurred for firing torpedoes.
4.45. Ceased firing.
Proceeded astern of " Nerissa " to rejoin Flotilla.
5.10. " Lion " recalled destroyers.
5.30. " Lion " a/c N.N.E.
6. 0. Sighted British Battle Fleet.
6.10. " Champion " formed 13th Flotilla in single line ahead,
stationed on port side of British Cruisers. Speed,
25 knots.
6.35 13th Flotilla. Speed, 15 knots.
7.05. Flotilla a/c S.E.
7.45. Flotilla a/c S., 10 knots.
8.05. Flotilla a/c W. by S.
8.15. Flotilla a/c West, 17 knots.
8.27. Flotilla a/c W.S.W., 17 knots.
8.40. Flotilla a/c S.W.
9. O. Flotilla a/o S., 20 knots.
9.30. Flotilla reduced to 17 knots.
10.05. Flotilla reduced to 10 knots.
10.20. Flotilla increased to 17 knots; firing and searchlight to
10.45. Flotilla a/c S.E., 20 knots.
11 . 4 0 . Flotilla a/c S.W., 30 knots.
1st June.
1. 0. Flotilla a/c W.N.W., 28 knots.
2.40. Flotilla reduced to 15 knots.
2.55. Formed divisions in line abreast. Co., S. 70 W.
During the night the 9th flotilla joined the 13th flotilla.
" Termagant " ordered to join 9th flotilla.
5.20. 13th flotilla a/c N. 77 E., 20 knots.
6.10. " Lydiard ordered " Termagant " to rejoin 13th flotilla.
Proceeded 28 knots to search for 13th flotilla.
7.40. Owing to loss of fresh water, which shortly afterwards
necessitated drawing fires in one boiler, and oil running
low, not having sighted 13th flotilla, decided to return
to base. Shaped course N. 75 West; speed, 18 knots.
Arrived Rosyth midnight.


  1. Naval Operations. Volume III. p. 430.
  2. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. p. 46.
  3. Naval Operations. Volume III. p. 430.
  4. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 224-225.
  5. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp 344-347.
  6. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. p. 345.
  7. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 349-51.
  8. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 229-230.
  9. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. p. 231.
  10. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 231-233.
  11. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 233, 234.
  12. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 235-236.
  13. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 236-238.
  14. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 238-239.
  15. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 240-242.
  16. 600 yards is a very exciting range for rapid-fire gunnery!
  17. Battle of Jutland Official Despatches. pp. 261-3.