Bristol Class Cruiser (1909)
The five light cruisers of the Bristol Class were completed by 1911.
|Overview of 5 vessels|
|Citations for this data available on individual ship pages|
|Bristol||John Brown & Company||23 Mar, 1909||23 Feb, 1910||Dec, 1910||Sold 9 May, 1921|
|Glasgow||Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company||25 Mar, 1909||30 Sep, 1909||Sep, 1910||Sold 29 Apr, 1927|
|Gloucester||William Beardmore & Company||15 Apr, 1909||28 Oct, 1909||Oct, 1910||Sold 9 May, 1921|
|Liverpool||Vickers||17 Feb, 1909||30 Oct, 1909||Oct, 1910||Sold 8 Nov, 1921|
|Newcastle||Armstrong, Whitworth & Company||14 Apr, 1909||25 Nov, 1909||Sep, 1910||Sold 9 May, 1921|
In September 1914, the ships were allowed five additional pairs of Pattern 343 Service Binoculars.
This section is sourced in The Sight Manual, 1916.
Ten 4-in B.L. Mark VII guns on P. IV* mountings were arranged for broadside fire.
The mounting could elevate 15 degrees and depress 10 degrees, but though its sight could match the 15 degree elevation, the range dial was only graduated to 11.5 degrees (10,000 yards).
These cam-worked sights had range dials for 2750 fps, and 1-in and .303-in aiming rifles. M.V. could be corrected by adjustable pointer through +/- 150 fps.
The deflection gearing constant was 64.277 with 1 knot equal to 2.41 arc minutes, corresponding to 2800 fps at 2000 yards. Drift was corrected by inclining the sight 2 degrees.
The layer's sight line was 13.73 inches above the bore, and 15.85 inches left. The trainer's sight line was 15.08 inches above and 14.9 inches right.
The sight had a temperature correcting scale plate and a "C" corrector.
The layer had an open sight. The trainer's sight could be used as a free sight with a counterweight.
In February, 1913, the 4-in mountings, and possibly also the 6-in ones, were to have illumination added for their training index racers. In August of that 1913, Portsmouth Royal Dockyard was to supply head rests for these guns, to be fitted in the dockyard when the opportunity arose.
Two 18-in submerged broadside tubes aft, 4.5 feet below the load waterline, depressed 3 degrees with the axis of the tube 14.75 inches above the deck.
In 1913, it was approved, as part of a general reallocation of 18-in torpedoes, to replace the torpedoes on Minotaur class (except Shannon), Duke of Edinburgh and Bristol classes with F III** torpedoes.
As late as 1920, these ships were not equipped, generally being the most modern light cruisers (except the Centaurs) to fail to make the cut.
As of 1920, it appears that none of the ships had been so equipped.
By June 1918, it was determined that the "Town" class cruisers would probably eventually carry two 12-foot and one 9-foot rangefinders.
Evershed Bearing Indicators
This equipment was unlikely to have been fitted for gun or searchlight control.
These ships had no fire control tables.
Fire Control Instruments
- Range Transmitters: 4
- Deflection Transmitters: 4
- Range Receivers: 12
- Deflection Receivers: 12
- C.O.S.: 1
- Vickers Fire Gongs: 12 with 4 keys
However, Gloucester's 4-in gun sights could not accomodate FTP.
None of the ships had Target Visible or Gun Ready signals.
By mid-1918, the "Town" class cruisers were to receive two "Graham type" bearing transmitters in their spotting tops. The Bristols, however, were apparently not to receive range repeat receivers that were being issued to the others.
In 1916, it was decided that all light cruisers of Bristol class and later should have torpedo firing keys (Pattern 2333) fitted on the fore bridge, in parallel with those in the CT, and that a flexible voice pipe be fitted between these positions. Additionally, those with submerged tubes were to be equipped with gyro angle and order instruments from fore bridge (and after control position, if present) to the tubes. Bristol class already has (or will have) Barr and Stroud for this purpose.
- Admiralty Weekly Order No. 331 of 8 Sep, 1914.
- The Sight Manual, 1916. pp. 86, 108, Plate 39.
- Admiralty Weekly Orders. The National Archives. ADM 182/4. 21 Feb, 1913 entries. pp. 3-4.
- Admiralty Weekly Order No. 470 of 22 Aug, 1913.
- Admiralty Weekly Order No. 569 of 17 Oct, 1913.
- Addenda (1911) to Torpedo Manual, Vol. III., 1909, p. 155.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1913. p. 8.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1915. p. 58.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1915. p. 59.
- Manual of Gunnery (Volume III) for His Majesty's Fleet, 1920. p. 35.
- absent from Manual of Gunnery of H.M. Fleet, Volume III, 1920, p. 45.
- Grand Fleet Gunnery and Torpedo Orders. 21/6/1918, p. 116.
- The Technical History and Index, Vol. 3, Part 23. p. 29.
- absent from list in Handbook of Capt. F.C. Dreyer's Fire Control Tables, p. 3.
- Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1909. pp. 57, 60.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1909. p. 148.
- The Sight Manual, 1916. p. 86.
- The National Archives. ADM 182/4. 7th Feb., 1912, p. 4.
- Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1914. p. 11.
- Admiralty Weekly Order No. 283 of 6 June, 1913.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1917. p. 230.
- Annual Report of the Torpedo School, 1916. p. 146.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1910). Handbook for Fire Control Instruments, 1909. Copy No. 173 is Ja 345a at Admiralty Library, Portsmouth, United Kingdom.
- Admiralty, Gunnery Branch (1918). Handbook of Captain F. C. Dreyer's Fire Control Tables, 1918. C.B. 1456. Copy No. 10 at Admiralty Library, Portsmouth, United Kingdom.
|Bristol Class Light Cruiser|
|<–||Boadicea Class||Minor Cruisers (UK)||Weymouth Class||–>|