The Dreadnought Project Forum Index The Dreadnought Project
Naval History in the years 1890-1920

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Reg1sterReg1ster 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding a section of "essays"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Adding a section of "essays" Reply with quote

I hope to work on a few of these myself, and to invite a few select others to contribute. Ideally, I will come up with some way to tie each article to a BBS thread so that corrections and ideas and questions can be posed and answered or otherwise incorporated into an improved article.

I have two I am shaping up, dealing with ballistics and range tables.

http://dreadnoughtproject.org/essays/

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information, Tone. "Special Guest Essays and Essayists" - nice idea. You've made a good start, that's for sure.

Simon
Horsa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move, Tone. I look forward to others . :D

I was talking with John Hopkin (Floater) recently and we were debating atmospheric temperature as a possible factor. Unless I missed it in my skim, I didn't see any reference in your essay. Is this because it was either insignificant or even non-existent.
tone
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget most of what I learned about this stuff as I went along. I intend at some point to tear out my present atmospheric model in favor of the standard atmospheric model (google it) with a tweak or two if it suits me.

The thing I learned in studying range tables is that they are NOT what I thought they were. I THOUGHT they were strings of spline-interpolated data hung between 10 or so test firing tentpoles, but in fact they are strings of spline-interpolated values hung between 6 tentpoles whose height and spacing are ball-parked after a rather jumbled and indirect analytical bonfire sparked by a whopping four meaned test firing series. In essence, that is 4 de-noised firings -- not even enough to take down the Clantons and McLaurys at the OK Corral.

Talk about an education! I believe that there is not a single row in the range table book that corresponds to a cleaned-up single real test firing. Not one.

That doesn't mean the range table ceases to be valuable. It IS still the most authoritative source available on the subject it covers. But it means that it is foolish to attempt to make a physics-centric simulation regurgitate an exact copy of these tables, as they themselves correspond to an approximation of the weapon system. Any time I can get a carte blanche pass to avoid a spiral into minute complexity is an "out" to savor.

tone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Dreadnought Project Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: